Saturday, June 03, 2006

"American Idol" Taylor Hicks Signs Record Deal

'American Idol' winner Taylor Hicks, who polled 36.4 million votes in last week's final, has signed a multi-million dollar record deal.

Hicks said: "I want to get a quick turnaround on my album. Get it on the shelves within the next five or six months, by the end of the year, something like that."

Hicks' recording of two songs "Do I Make You Proud," which he sang in the show's finale, and a soulful cover of the Doobie Brothers classic "Takin' It to the Streets" will be released in stores and through digital outlets on June 13.

"I Taylor-ized it," Hicks said of "Do I Make You Proud," the power ballad he performed on the final two nights of the "Idol" season last week. "I was glad that I could make it my own, and luckily enough, I could relate. The lyrics meant a lot."Hicks will start recording the album on off nights during this summer's American Idols Live Tour, which is still in the planning stages: "I think there's a duet in store, and I think I'm going to get to play harmonica and guitar," Hicks said. "I'm looking forward to it. This is the most talented year of 'American Idol,' and I love working with talented people, because the more talent that you work with the better off that you are and the harder it makes you work as an artist."

Hicks added: "As a performer and a musician in my own realm, so to speak, I was usually doing stuff on my own, doing this, doing that, calling the shots, and I had to really compensate that, and I've definitely learned how to be patient."

No comments: